Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata is reportedly not keen on a move to Chelsea this summer, despite the possibility of leading the line as first choice striker should he join the Premier League champions, rather than another season potentially as a backup in Spain.
According to Spanish broadcaster David Alonso for radio Onda Cero, Morata doesn’t see a transfer to Chelsea as a ‘feasible’ option and remains committed to focusing on Real.
The player is also said to have received an offer from Chinese Super League club Tianjin Quanjian, where ex-Real defender Fabio Cannavaro is currently manager, that would pay him €30m a year, but the financial incentive has failed to convince him to quit Europe.
Morata was believed to be on the verge of joining Manchester United last week to link up with Jose Mourinho once more. But the Old Trafford club pulled the plug on the proposed deal at the last minute and sealed a £75m transfer for Romelu Lukaku instead.
Lukaku had been expected to re-join Chelsea after leaving Stamford Bridge permanently in 2014, but after losing out on the Belgian it was thought Morata might become their primary target instead.
Antonio Conte was previously said to be keen on signing the 24-year-old Spaniard after he was in charge at Juventus when Morata made the move to Italy in 2014. They only worked together very briefly, though, as Conte left to take over the Italian national team just weeks later.
I don’t think it’s a reflection on Chelsea, just sounds like focusing on Real is a better option for him personally after getting burned.— Jamie Spencer (@jamiespencer155) July 13, 2017Yet rather than open himself up to the possibility of another transfer saga after being jilted, Morata seems intent on staying put for the time being. He still scored 20 goals in all competitions last season despite his regular substitute role and will now aim to establish himself at the Bernabeu.